When will I be able to get my new home security system?

What happens when a homeowner’s home security systems fail?

The homeowner may not notice or care as long as they are in the same building as the company that provides the security system, according to the company.

If you have questions about home security, please call the National Security Agency’s Home Security Hotline at 1-800-624-3286 or visit the National Information Security Center.

The center will provide information on what you can do to protect yourself, including how to get a replacement system and how to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

The National Security Act of 1947 prohibits certain industries from selling systems that do not meet the same security standards as the products they sell, but the act does not require them to do so.

The Federal Trade Commissions Office of Consumer Affairs, the government agency that enforces consumer laws, will issue guidance to retailers, manufacturers and other sellers on the appropriate level of security that will ensure the security of your property.

Consumers can also file complaints with the FTC about security products sold to them.

For more information, visit the FTC’s Consumer Help Center at www.ftc.gov/consumer.

This story has been corrected to correct that the Federal Communications Commission is the Federal Government agency that oversees the Internet.